7 Tips to Help You Quickly Get Started Learning OpenSource RT-Thread IoTOS!
RT-Thread is an open-source embedded real-time operating system (RTOS) that provides a wide range of components and 200+ software packages for the Internet of Things (IoT).
Here are 7 tips to help you quickly start learning RT-Thread.
1. Find the RT-Thread official learning materials.
- There is a documentation center on the RT-Thread official website, from which you can learn about RT-Thread online.
2. What are the basics required to learn RT-Thread?
- A good C language master is a basic skill, have development experience of common MCUs or other RTOSs can also benefit you to be quicker to get started RT-Thread.
- To understand the RT-Thread principles in-depth requires a certain degree of data structure, operating system principles, object-oriented programming, and other knowledge.
3. Have a board on hand, how to quickly run RT-Thread on this board?
- RT-Thread provides a large number of BSPs(Board Support Package) for common development boards and chips. Find the corresponding BSP to get started directly, or find the similar one that you can also adjust it onto your board.
- Also, RT-Thread self-developed a one-stop development tool: RT-Thread Studio IDE that can help you build the projects in seconds and keep you productive.
4. Can you use RT-Thread freely in your projects?
- RT-Thread 3.1.0 version onwards follows the Apache License 2.0 open source license agreement. 3.1.0 version and its earlier versions follow the GPL V2 open source license agreement.
- All the real-time operating system kernel and open source components can be used Free of Charge for Commercial Products.
5. RT-Thread has several versions, how to choose one?
- Resource-constrained project can choose RT-Thread Nano that requires only 3KB Flash and 1.2KB RAM resources.
- If you like something NEW and want to experience the latest features of RT-Thread, you can choose the Master version or 4.x.x Version.
- If you have high requirements on stability and have the intention to put RT-Thread for commercial use, you are more recommended to choose 3.1.x version.
6. You don’t have a board on hand, how to learn RT-Thread?
- RT-Thread provides qemu-vexpress-a9 BSP(Board Support Package), which can be used without a hardware platform. Or you can use the Keil MDK simulator STM32F103 to start your RT-Thread learning journey.
7. If you have questions when learning RT-Thread, how to seek help?
- You can ask for help on RT-Thread’s Reddit Channel / Facebook Channel/ Twitter Channel. While asking questions, remember to provide as much information as possible about the relevant code screenshots, debug logs, and other related information.
RT-Thread Contact Info: